The convent of Sant Doménec or Sant Domingo is one of the most important Gothic monuments in the city of Valencia.

It was founded by the Aragonese King Jaume I (1208-1276) and home to the Valencian Dominican preachers - Sant Vicent Ferrer (1350-1419) and Lluís Bertran (1526-1581)

It was visited and protected by the kings of Aragon and the house of Austria and several times used as the headquarters of the Valencian Courts.

It became a historic-artistic monument since 1931, however it is not a well-known building due to its restricted visiting hours because the Valencia Captain General has resided here since 1840. This was a position created instead of the Viceroy of Valencia at the end of the War of Succession.


The cloister at Sant Domingo is one of the most outstanding architectural beauties within the city boasting fabulous flamboyant "ogival" style arches.

Initiated at the beginning of the fourteenth century, the cloister is a square (34 m from side to side) and has six pointed "ogival" arches on each side, except on the north side, which has five.

The unequal number of arches is because the whole construction of the convent was built on donations from individuals hence it could only be expanded when the funds were available.

In the center there is a garden with gully-shaped well that has a brocal or solid parapet for safety and utility, surrounds the well at surface level.

On its east side, there are gothic-flamboyant, florid and trilobated traceries, different in each arch,  suggestive of the Royal Isabelline architecture that dominated the era of the 15th century.

The second floor of the cloister is Baroque as was the popular style of Valencia's 17th century. Numerous round tiled arches are arranged between classical pilasters and finished off by a cornice supported by elaborated corbels, probably the work Francisco Padilla, the same author of the baroque makeover of the church attached to the convent.

The galleries are covered by simple stone nerve vaults with pearly tiles.

Report by Karla Darocas
All Photos Copyright: Karla Darocas