Posts

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WATERY PARADISE IN GANDIA

The Alquería del Duc was a medieval fortified farmhouse built in the sixteenth century. It was bought in 1590 by Alfonso de Borja, the youngest son of the famous San Francisco de Borja, IV Duke of Gandia.

* Report by Karla Darocas. Hons. B.A. (Copyright 2019)

Alfonso transformed the straggly farmhouse into a romantic summer residence suitable for the Nobels and visiting Royals to frolic, fish and hunt. Unfortunately, due to his death in 1593, his renovations were not finished.

After his death, the property was held by his widow Elionor de Noroña from 1593 to 1596. When she decided to move her residence from Gandia to Madrid, the Royal Council of Madrid in 1596 granted the use of the property to the Society of Jesus; the religious order that her father-in-law served and made famous.

In 1600, when Leonor de Noroña died, her testamentary executors sold the farm to Francisco Carlos de Borja Centelles, IX Duke of Gandía, and his wife María Ponce de León 1700 pounds.

The building and the gr…

PERFECT POLYCHROME BUSTS FROM FAMOUS 17TH CENTURY SCULPTOR IN GANDIA

THE UNSOLVED MYSTERY OF GOYA'S MISSING SKULL

THE TALE OF SOROLLA'S HOLIDAY HORROR IN JAVEA

GLORIOUS GANDIA

*FRANCISCO GOYA* History, Views & Visions of an Enlightened, Romantic Master Artist

TRIBUTE TO TOLEDO * PART 2

ISABELLA

TRIBUTE TO TOLEDO * PART 1

FRIDA KAHLO

REMEDIOS VARO

EL GRECO'S TINY TRIBUTE TO THE FATHER OF THE SACRED FAMILY

THE MYSTERY OF EL GRECO'S PAINTING OF SAINT SEBASTIAN